Coronavirus update 3-30

Public Health Officials Announce 461 New Cases of Coronavirus Disease
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) today reported 461 new cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Illinois. Seven new deaths are also being reported, including the death of an incarcerated man from Stateville Correctional Center.
– Cook County: male 50s, male 60s, female 60s, female 70s
– DuPage County: male 60s
– Kendal County: female 60s
– Will County: male 50s, male 60s

Additionally, 12 men who were incarcerated at Stateville are now hospitalized, including several requiring ventilators. There are 77 more incarcerated individuals with symptoms who are isolated at the facility. Eleven staff are also being isolated.

The Illinois Department of Corrections is taking a number of steps to control the spread of COVID-19 in its correctional centers. Staff who work with individuals in isolation and quarantine, as well as in the health center, are wearing full personal protective equipment (PPE) and all staff are wearing some PPE. Staff are also having their temperature checked daily as they enter the facility.

Correctional centers with a confirmed case are placed on lockdown, which means there is no movement around the facility except for medical care. Incarcerated individuals who show symptoms are being tested.

Clark, Crawford, Marion, Randolph, and Saline counties are now reporting cases. Currently, IDPH is reporting a total of 5,057 cases, including 73 deaths, in 52 counties in Illinois. The age of cases ranges from younger than one to 99 years.

For all personal protective equipment (PPE) donations, email For health questions about COVID-19, call the hotline at 1-800-889-3931 or email Medically trained professionals able to volunteer are asked to sign up at
*All data are provisional and will change.

Governor’s Office Daily COVID-19 Q & A
March 30, 2020

Helplines and Webpages
General Resources: visit
PPE Equipment:
• Donations:
• To Manufacture PPE in Illinois:
Business Assistance:
• Essential Business inquiries: contact 1-800-252-2923 or
• IL Small Business Assistance: email (DCEO) or
• Federal Small Business loans visit:
• Business insurance coverage:
Individual Assistance:
• Employee workplace concerns contact the Attorney General’s Workplace Rights Bureau at (844) 740-5076 or submit a complaint online.
• Unemployment insurance eligibility and the application process call Claimant Services at (800) 244-5631.
• If you feel sick or are concerned about infection visit DPH website,
• Resources for people with disabilities, please visit
Other Resources:
• For a list of all Executive Orders related to COVID-19
• For Illinois taxpayer information, please visit DOR’s resource page
• IDFPR list of licensees and consumers impacted by COVID-19 visit:
• School related inquires visit
• COVID19 cases by county: visit
• To volunteer: visit or email
• Emergency Day Care Provider Search: visit

Non-for-Profit Relief
Q: Where can not-for-profits apply for financial relief?
A: Currently, two different COVID-19 grant programs have been launched for non-profits in
Illinois. The Chicago Community COVID-19 Response Fund will support local non-profits by
providing them with grants so they can continue to serve the City of Chicago and surrounding
suburbs. The Illinois COVID-19 Response fund will provide grants to non-profits and local
community foundations across the state. Non-profits must apply for funding, and grants may be
announced in multiple rounds.
Non-for-Profits can also apply for the SBA Disaster Loan. For additional information on this loan
program, please visit the SBA Disaster Loan website at

Business Compliance
Q: Can bars and restaurants seek authority to sell pre-mixed drinks/cocktails “to-go” and for
“delivery” in the non-original packaging?
A: The Illinois Liquor Control Commission released a reminder that, for reasons stated herein,
the Commission has not authorized the sale of premixed cocktails in non-original containers for
off-premises consumption. For the complete release, click here.

Q: Will Insurance companies be required to cover some damages, such as lost revenue due to
COVID-19? Will there be any guidance for small businesses to make a complaint?
A: For business insurance inquiries, please visit
Q: Will private insurance companies waive costs related to COVID-19 for its consumers?
A: Humana and Cigna Insurance companies will cover co-payments and cost-sharing for
treatments related to COVID-19. A list of actions by health plans can be reviewed here.

Q: How are emergency childcare assistance providers being made accessible to residents, such
as low paid workers in rural areas?
A: The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) established an Emergency Childcare
Provider portal that provides families with options within their region. Please access the portal

Illinois Department of Corrections
Q: If an inmate at one of the correctional facilities gets infected with COVID-19, will the family
of the inmate be notified? What would the timing be on that and what efforts will be made to
treat that individual?
A: The Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) is publicly tracking all COVID-19 tests and
confirmed cases within the agency. Please refer to IDOC’s COVID-19 webpage for the most
updated information and resources. Additionally, the families of infected inmates are being
notified upon a positive COVID-19 test result. Inmates who exhibit symptoms or test positive
for COVID-19 are being treated according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) guidelines with guidance from healthcare professionals as well as in-conjunction with the
Illinois Department of Public Heath (IDPH).

Q: If an individual filed for unemployment due to COVID-19 and since receive new work hours,
will the new hours disrupt the unemployment claim?
A: Generally speaking, someone can work and earn up to half their weekly benefit amount
without reducing their weekly benefit. If they earn over half their weekly benefit amount it will
start to reduce the weekly benefit amount. This is built-in as an incentive for those to begin
reentry into the workforce even if only part time at first.

Q: Can a township authorize residents in need of food or household goods to apply directly to
the township for use of their General Assistance Funds? Currently, the application process may
begin with a county first, and it can be a lengthy and complicated process.
A: The county and township can refer to the governing statute and can consult with the Illinois
Legal Aid visit:

John Curran

Want to stay up to date with your Senator?

Sign up for the District E-Newsletter below: